Lorenzo Leads the Way as Final Pre-Season Test Begins at Jerez
Jerez de la Frontera (Spain), 23rd March 2013
Yamaha Factory Racing rider Jorge Lorenzo kicked off day one of three of the final pre-season test of 2013 at the front, leading the MotoGP field by over a second in the time sheets.
Following a successful team launch yesterday, today’s first day of action was a disappointing affair for the MotoGP riders with black clouds, heavy rains and a waterlogged track hampering testing efforts.
Despite the adverse weather Lorenzo managed to achieve 39 laps whilst working on the wet set up of his YZR-M1, achieving a competitive set up fairly quickly.
Valentino Rossi’s first day in the official 2013 colours of the Factory Team were similar to Lorenzo’s, the Italian working on his wet set up. Rossi was able to find a good pace but ended the session needing to reduce rear tyre wear in the wet to last race distance at a fats pace.
1st / 1.47.423 / 39 laps
“We stayed on the track the whole day in the wet conditions and it was good to see how the bike performed. We improved a little bit but then the rear tyre dropped so we have to calm the bike down a little bit in the acceleration.
We are quite good in the wet here in Jerez. It’s the first time we are in these conditions so it's important to understand what our levels are. It’s important to be competitive in this situation.
We proved when the track was drying up that we could keep the performance of the rear tyre over distance. It doesn't matter how fast you are in one lap, if you can’t keep the level over the whole race you cannot win.”
6th / 1.49.443 / 36 laps
“The conditions today were very bad so we had to work on the wet. The feeling with the bike was not so bad but we had some problems with the life of the tyre, after some laps we started to spin a lot. It will be hard in a wet race to do 27 laps in a row.
We also have an issue with the quantity of wet tyres as we have only two today, we have four in total so we keep two for tomorrow but we hope tomorrow will be dry!”
“A very wet day start but still an important day’s testing. The conditions were quite similar all the time so it was a good moment to test the wet set up and try to find the best solutions for when it gets wet somewhere over the season, especially as last year it rained a lot.
We tried quite a few different things, it can be a risk to try stuff in the wet but it was quite good today. We didn't try all the things we wanted to, but definitely the wet stuff.
It’s not easy to get the feeling in the wet, especially after a long winter off so Jorge did well. It also wasn’t easy to keep him calm in the morning as he wanted to go out and ride but we were able to go out in the afternoon and do nearly 40 laps; that is a lot on the wet.”
“Our original program was different so we had to adjust it due to the weather conditions. The rain didn’t allow us to verify the items we wanted to. Anyway, we worked on improving the wet set up to help the feeling with the riders and so far we have done a great job.
We hope for good weather for the next two days as this test is very important to find the best set up to start the season.”
1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA)
Yamaha Factory Racing 1'47.423
2. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1'48.474
3. Marc Marquez (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1'48.524
4. Andrea Iannone (ITA) Pramac Racing Team 1'48.984
5. Michele Pirro (ITA) Ducati Test Team 1'49.292
6. Valentino Rossi (ITA)
Yamaha Factory Racing 1'49.443
7. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Team 1'49.643
8. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech3 1'49.692
9. Stefan Bradl (GER) LCR Honda MotoGP 1'49.790
10. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Ducati Team 1'50.266
11. Ben Spies (USA) Pramac Racing Team 1'50.957
12. Yonny Hernandez (COL) Paul Bird Motorsport 1'51.269
13. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Go&Fun Honda Gresini 1'51.277
14. Karel Abraham (CZE) Cardion AB Motoracing 1'51.333
15. Claudio Corti (ITA) NGM Mobile Forward Racing 1'52.034
16. Bradley Smith (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech3 1'52.047
17. Danilo Petrucci (ITA) Came Iodaracing Project 1'52.180
18. Hector Barbera (SPA) Avintia Blusens 1'52.291
19. Hiroshi Aoyama (JPN) Avintia Blusens 1'52.676
20. Colin Edwards (USA) NGM Mobile Forward Racing 1'53.992
21. Bryan Staring (AUS) Go&Fun Honda Gresini 1'56.119
22. Lukas Pesek (CZE) Came IodaRacing Project 1'56.413
23. Michael Laverty (GBR) Paul Bird Motorsport 1'56.931
Full 2013 MotoGP Results
Location Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
Length (m) 4423
Width (m) 11
Turns righ 8
Turns left 5
Pole position left
Article source: Yamaha Factory Racing
Rider V. Rossi
Rider J. Lorenzo
1st J.Lorenzo (Yamaha): 50'49.046
2nd D.Pedrosa (Honda): +19.339
3rd N.Hayden (Ducati): +29.085
|Last Updated on Monday, 25 March 2013 10:26|